Teeth clenching and grinding is becoming increasingly common in today’s fast paced, stressful lifestyle.
We put so much pressure on ourselves to do it all that it can start to take its toll and manifest in our bodies in so many ways. Holding tension in the jaw causing teeth clenching and grinding is a quite common manifestation.
Modern medicine and dentistry offer many treatments to help reduce this but let’s be real. They are band aids. They are necessary band aids in many cases but not a cure. It’s important to understand the WHY behind the stress which is the most common cause of clenching and grinding and to manage it. This can be through things like:
- regular, relaxing holidays.
- meditation. Apps such as Calm and Headspace can be great for this!
- sleep sounds.
- no screen time for at least an hour before bed.
- Salt baths/floats. Either in your own bath or in an establishment like Beyond Rest in Wembley, our local float centre.
Anything that helps reduce stress levels will most likely help reduce your teeth clenching/grinding habits.
What can we do on a more clinical level?
- occlusal splints – a night time appliance worm usually on the top teeth to separate the jaws, decompressing the jaw joint, protecting teeth from wearing down and alleviating muscle pain and headaches. This appliance is worn nightly, generally long term.
- Muscle relaxant injections (like Botox) to reduce activity of hyperactive Jas clenching and grinding muscles. Treatment usually last 3-6 months. Great for those who cannot tolerate a mouth appliance.
- Physiotherapy, osteopathy, and chiropractic methods can also be used to release the muscles and joints. Treatment is usually required every 1-4 weeks.
An alternative method we can started using in clinic is our own blend of essential oils to promote a relaxing and restful sleep, relax muscle tension and produce a calming effect in general. We have incorporated magnesium oil to encourage muscle relaxation with a very pleasant aroma and primarily, DoTerra Oils, known for their reputation of purity, non-toxic and environmentally friendly constituents.
We have had great feedback from our patients who have used the product. It involves a topical application to areas of muscle tension including jaw line, temples, areas of tension in the neck and any other tense muscles.
In the end of the day, it’s important to find what works for YOU!