Teeth whitening products are abundant in today’s market but we must be very careful what we choose to use and how we choose to use it.
The source of discolouration of teeth can vary from person to person. It could be due to:
- Staining from tea, coffee, red wine, turmeric, smoking etc.
- Acid wear causing enamel to thin leaving teeth looking yellow (due to underlying, yellow tooth layers shining through) or even grey (due to translucency of thin enamel).
- Antibiotics that can affect the development of the internal structure of teeth and can cause brown discolouration.
- Dental decay causing brown discolouration
- Old, stained or mismatched shade of fillings/crowns/veneers/bridges.
- Trauma that can cause internal and external yellowing if the affected teeth
- Root canal treated teeth can be darker in colour
Seeing a dental professional means you can have the cause identified and therefore find out if teeth whitening is for you and which method and formula will work better for you.
It is also very important not to whiten over dental decay. This HURTS! Once the decay has been treated, you’ll be good to go but until then, avoid whitening.
Unfortunately, only a dental professional can adequately diagnose and treat you in order to make sure you are receiving the safest treatment.
In chair dental grade teeth whitening is much stronger than any in chair or over the counter whitening products you can (legally) purchase. There’s a good reason for this. It’s NOT SAFE in the wrong hands and should not be used without being advised by a dental professional. Safety first, guys!
The health of your teeth matters. Please be sure to consider this before whitening your teeth.