There are many factors that cause discolouration of teeth. Some of the most common and most easily controlled are diet related.
Here is a list of things that commonly stain teeth:
- Red wine
- Turmeric lattes
- Tea and coffee
- Green vegetables especially Asian greens
- Soy sauce
How can you prevent or minimise staining your teeth??
- Amazing oral hygiene which includes brushing twice a day and flossing g once a day but BEWARE if you have consumed something acidic like red wine or berries, do NOT brush for at least half an hour as the acid softens your enamel which is the whitest part of teeth. If you brush straight away, you will wear it away, thinning the enamel, making your teeth look darker.
- Drink strong drinks through a straw.
- Rinse your mouth after consuming acidic foods and drinks.
- Reduce frequency of consumption if staining foods and drinks. Try to keep it to meal times to stimulate saliva flow to wash away stains and buffer any acid attack on teeth.
- Professional teeth whitening treatments by dental professionals I’d recommended.
- Regular professional dental cleans.
Keep those pearly whites healthy and bright!