Dental Inlays and Onlays Perth
Inlays And Onlays
Take care of your smile with these natural looking dental restorations
Toothache got you wanting to tear your teeth out? Our inlays and onlays can solve your teeth afflictions
Have you recently been experiencing:
- Sudden or spontaneous toothache and pain that seems to happen without a known cause
- Sensitive teeth
- Sharp pain in your tooth when you eat or drink something too hot, too cold or too sweet
- You have visible holes or ‘pits’ in your teeth
- There appears to be black, brown or white stains on the surface of your tooth
- Severe pain when you bite down on anything
It sounds like you may have a cavity. Tooth decay is a permanently damaged area in the hard surface of your teeth where minute holes or openings develop. These are normally caused from a variety of factors including bacteria, snacking a little too frequently, drinking beverages high in sugar and probably not cleaning your teeth as well as you should be. Fear not, you’ve come to the right place. Our professional team of restorative dentists at The Smile Clinique have the tools and knowledge to alleviate pain. First, let’s look at the different types of treatments that may work for you, depending on the severity of your cavity:
These are hard custom-made inserts that are placed in the area where your tooth has decayed. To create a more natural-looking appearance and to prevent further tooth decay, these inlays are cemented in place. A porcelain inlay is made for only you and therefore shaped so it fits perfectly inside of your prepared tooth. Apart from looking completely natural, porcelain inlays have the following advantages:
- They are more aesthetically pleasing that metal or amalgam fillings
They function like your natural teeth
- They are stain resistant
- Strong and rock-hard once bonded, porcelain inlays add even more strength to your decayed tooth
- Well-sealed with an accurate fit custom designed under high level magnification.
- Because of their durability, they are created to last. You shouldn’t need to come back for another one for a very long time.
Porcelain inlays are custom-made and therefore your tooth will need to be carefully prepared by our dentist by removing all the tooth decay first, and then taking a detailed impression of the tooth. This impression will be sent to our dental laboratory and your inlay will be carefully hand-created from porcelain. Due to this impression being sent away to create the inlay, you will need to come back to The Smile Clinique for a second visit so we can then cement it into place.
Onlays are very similar to inlays except that they’re a little bigger and are designed to protect teeth with very large cavities from splitting. A porcelain onlay can repair a cavity at its very core in the central part of the chewing surface and even on the tooth’s cusps (those raised peaks on the tooth). Made in the same way as an inlay, an onlay will provide the same protection, durability and strength as the inlay.