Custom-made mouthguards to help keep your teeth safe during sports.
A custom-made mouthguard should be a non-negotiable item in your kit bag if you participate in sport. Mouth guards are inserted into your mouth during sports play, to protect your teeth, mouth, cheeks, touch and even jaw from sports-related injuries. Not only does having a mouth guard protect your mouth, it also reduces the risk of a potential concussion or even worse, severe injury to the brain.
We recommend a custom-fit mouth guard from The Smile Clinique, if you play the following sports:
- Any form of martial art
- Some types of gymnastics
- Rodeo events
While a store-bought or over-the-counter mouth guard may seem cheap and convenient, they offer little to no protection. Because every set of teeth is unique, these store-bought mouth guards fit poorly and do not cover enough of your teeth surface area to protect your upper teeth from being hit or knocked out. Custom-made mouth guards, however, are moulded to fit only your teeth and therefore not only protect them, but also reduce the risk of them becoming displaced or broken. They also act as a shock-absorber so should you take a blow to the jaw, the impact will not be transmitted to your skull and therefore lessen the chance of a severe concussion. The Smile Clinique’s custom mouth guards are moulded from a precise model of your teeth. They are resilient, tear-resistant and comfortable to wear as they are made to fit perfectly. Easy to clean and maintain, our custom-made mouth guards allow for easy breathing and have no taste or odour.
How it works:
- Dr Sarah Varma will first conduct a thorough exam of all your teeth to ensure that no other initial work is required prior to creating your custom mould. Should you require other work, it may affect the shape of your teeth and jaw, and therefore the fit of the mouth guard.
- She will then take an impression of both your upper and lower teeth. This is usually done using a special dental putty that gets into every nook and cranny of your teeth and creates a perfect mould of your smile, including the general shape of your tooth line.
- This mould is then left to set hard and sent to a laboratory where it is created by using many layers of superheated plastic to create the device perfectly suited for your mouth.
- Once you choose your colour, be it your favourite colour or even that of your sports team, it is cooled to form an exceptionally strong and stable piece of dental wear.
- A week or so later, the mouth guard is returned to The Smile Clinique and you can collect it at your convenience.
Custom-Made Mouthguards Perth
To find out more about our mouthguard or to book an appointment to get your custom mouthguard fitted, contact The Smile Clinique’s dental team, today.